Friday, January 20, 2012

Time to Order Your Dresses!!!!

Not that these are dresses, but they may be a decent preview of your bouquets:



Way to start a blog and let it stagnate, Laura. Yeesh...

Truth be told, there wasn't a hell of a lot happening between October and about, oh three weeks ago. Being in VA and bogged down by a little something I like to call "my job" made it somewhat difficult to get things accomplished. Then a month in Ohio with limited internet capability made it impossible for me to update the blog. I was able to get some shit done over that period, though, and now I can tell you about some of it.

First, let me say that I bought my dress! I would post a picture of it here, but I have some suspicions that there may be some among "those I would wish not to see it" who may be peeking in at the ol' blog on occasion. Amy saw it, and Erika knows what it looks like because I talked to her once over break and she had her computer in front of her and looked it up. If you're desperate to know what it looks like, let me know and I'll send you a link via email or F/b or something. Otherwise, you may choose to be surprised yourselves, which could be sweet...

Trevor and I also managed to order the cake, book the DJ, book the Fun Bus (for all of us, yo!), arrange for a ceremony musician, and I have a lead on a florist. I got the rest of the Save the Dates out (as you no doubt know, now) and we've decided to do our own invitations. AND we figured out the rehearsal dinner... it's a barbecue place called Barley's, but I'm sure vegetarian options can be made available. I feel like we got other stuff done, too, but my brain is fried.

Now for the business of the day.

Shock, surprise: I bought my dress from David's Bridal! I went in there with Mom and Cindy intending to just get a feel for dress styles and my likes and dislikes; I had been in there before and not really seen anything I liked, so I anticipated that I'd get a feel for things and then we'd head to Cincinnati's Wedding District. HOWEVER, when we went in at the end of December, their new Spring designer collections had come in and, as we walked in the door, Cindy fell in love with a new dress on display. It was the first wedding gown I tried on, ever, and it ended up being the one I bought! It was the most insane 30 minutes of my life. INSANE.

I share this because of what it means for all of you: by purchasing my gown from David's, you all get $20 off of the dresses there... and because I want to make all of this as financially easy on you as one can when forcing another individual to buy a dress, that is what we're going to do. Over Thanksgiving, I went to David's with Katie and Ressler, and over break I went with Amy. The three of them can attest to the acceptableness of the color I have chosen... they can also attest to the fact that it looks TOTALLY different in person than it looks on the internet (where it looks reasonably hideous). They all agree that it's a color that will look very nice on everyone, too, so I feel like I accomplished part of my mission... though it's not the exact color I had envisioned... David's doesn't have that color.

IMPORTANT PART #1

You will each be able to choose whatever dress style you are most comfortable wearing and/or paying for. Here are my three restrictions:

1. The required color is called Oasis.

2. The dress you choose must be tea-length or shorter (so, NO full-length gowns).

3. You may NOT choose a satin dress. My fabric preferences for you all are chiffon and cotton sateen.


I think the best thing for you to do is actually head in to your local David's Bridal; you'll get a much better sense of your options there than on their website. I have been all over their website and, quite frankly, it does NOT show all of your options. When you get to David's you'll see that, with bridesmaids' dresses, there are dresses that are for the "21 Colors" and those that are for the "44 Colors." Wearing Oasis means you need to be looking for dresses among the 44 Colors.

My dress is NOT satin and is NOT shiny in any way... it's mostly tulle, actually. Because I won't be shiny, for the purposes of pictures, I think it would be weird if any of you were. I hope that makes sense to you all, too. I also thought that maybe you would be more likely to wear a non-satin dress again, and likewise think that chiffon and cotton sateen fabric would be cooler in the July weather and more forgiving on any given body type. I would caution you on one thing in reference to the cotton sateen, however, which is that Amy and I thought it appeared to be a potential lint magnet... but I'm totally leaving it up to each of you to decide what dress you want to purchase.

I would also encourage you to try on multiple dresses in both fabrics, if possible. When Amy was trying on dresses, I know that I was surprised that some things I thought were adorable on the hanger looked a little silly on (and that has nothing to do with Amy), and some things I thought looked a little weird on the hanger looked fabulous on, so... don't just snatch the first one and go with it; you might be happier in something else if you give it a look around.

Here are some of your options:



The first two up there are supposedly in Oasis. Supposedly. The first dress may (?) end up being Erika's because she likes the image and she's going to try it on this weekend... she has to take a FERRY to VERMONT to get to a David's Bridal, so props to Erika!! The second dress is likely the one Amy will be getting and it looked wicked adorable on her. Wicked. Adorable. There truly are other options; sadly, they're not all represented on the David's website. And be aware that all of their strapless dresses do come with spaghetti straps; alternately, if you purchase additional material, you could have straps made. And I wouldn't kill anyone who decided she really wanted to order a little shrug/jacket thing to wear over the dress, just FYI. Just remember with all decisions that these dresses are going to be worn in an Ohio July.

IMPORTANT PART #2

You may want to head in to David's some time in the next two or three weeks to order your dresses.

Oasis is a "cut-to-order" color, so the dresses may take 12 weeks to come in (they're likely not just sitting around in a warehouse somewhere). I know that you have a hell of a lot more than 12 weeks before you need to get these things in, but the consultants suggested ordering them as soon as possible so that, IF there is a sizing problem with the first dress you order, there will still be time to order the right one and get it in before the wedding.

In saying this, the consultant explained that all too often ladies come in and order a size that is a little snug or a size smaller because they intend to lose those 10 pounds or whatever... and then they ultimately don't, with the result that their dress doesn't fit. David's Bridal dresses have absolutely no seam allowance, so their dresses cannot be let out; they can only be taken in. So, if you know that you're going to go in to David's and be brutally honest and realistic with yourself about the size dress you require, then you won't need to rush in now to order it. You can wait until the first week of March, at the latest. But if you have any doubts about how these suckers may fit, I'd advise you to go in now and talk with someone and, at their suggestion, order at the appropriate time.

Any questions? Call, text, email, Facebook... whatever.

Oh. Also, for shoes I would like you to have silver, open-toe sandals. I don't care how tall or short the heel is, or how shiny or dull the silver is. Just find shoes you like that are reasonably comfortable... don't put yourself through misery on my account; no one's going to be looking at your shoes, anyway.

Here's what Madeline, my neice-ly Junior Bridesmaid, will be wearing, also in Oasis:



She was very adorable in it, but preferred a different, sluttier little girl dress that made Kathy, Mom, and I drop our jaws in horror. She's going to be so interesting in her teenage years.

And a shout-out to Samantha, because she and I need to talk about Flower Girl Madeleine's dress! Now that I know what mine and the other Madeline's look like, we have something to work with!

Okay, I will save other things for another day. There should be weekly posts from here on out, ladies, as the shit is getting more and more real every day.

Oh... and I apologize for any Bridezillaishness I may have exhibited in this or prior communications or may exhibit in any future communications. Call me out on that shit! Tell me to chill out and have a glass of wine! Really, we should all take that advice regularly. Huh. I'm going to go take it right now, in fact.

Love you all!

7 comments:

  1. Excited to get to order the dress (I was wondering when that would happen :). Hoping my size of choice will fit post-pregnancy-it will have been 3 months so I'll be down to reasonable size I know :)

    I think I'm getting the last dress in the cutouts-I have to check my phone where I wrote down the dress style I was getting but I think it's on the list o' pictures.

    Have another glass of mine for me Reinert and love the save the date-v. you and Trevor !!

    I have been communicating with college friends about doing a big bachelorette party pub crawl in Delaware on Thursday night so keep this in mind ladies...!

    More details as things get closer but super psyched about ordering the dress! I think I'll order it at the Cinci location for good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your size of choice will be fine, Ress. Do order it at the Cincy location, as I have had great luck with them every time I've gone in (except for when Amy and I went in and she got stuck with a very clueless new girl).

      Absolutely, as I said, get any dress you want. I would suggest, though, just double-checking on the one you wrote down; Erika felt that that fabric was prone to serious wrinkling, but you probably have to check it out again to be sure. Otherwise, I remember that it was very cute on you! Everything's coming together so well!

      Delete
  2. My Spanx are packed and I'm ready to go
    I'm standing here outside my door
    I had to walk the pugs and say goodbye
    But the dawn is breakin', it's early morn
    and the ferry's waiting he's blowin his horn
    I've not enough coffee, I could die

    So get ready, and smile for me
    Tell me that I look good
    Hope the dress holds my boobs and never let them go
    Cause I'm leavin on the ferry
    I should be back by 4pm
    Oh baby, I hate to go alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought dress #1 and convinced the poor poor scared girl to make the halter straps b/c there is just no way my ta-tas would be okay w/o extra support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget to buy your sequined gown for the piano/lounge act...

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to try on dresses, though I am going to have to be more committed about doing some push-ups.

    The dorky thing is that I already bought my shoes. I was at a Snooty Fox (consignment store) with my sister in December, and lo, on the 50% rack, was a pair of silver sandals with a 2"-3" heel. And I thought, "Laura mentioned something about silver sandals," so I bought them. For $4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOO-HOO, bargain hunter! I love it! You go, Katie!

      Delete