Friday, October 28, 2011

Moving Forward


I bought this for Trevor. A little corny, I know, but I loved it in a disgustingly saccharine sort of way.

So, more than anything, this is just to update you all on where I/we am/are on a few things.

1. I have a Flower Girl!!! Samantha's daughter, Madeleine, will be tossing petals for me and looking thoroughly adorable. I am so excited, you just have no idea... so excited to know that my dear old friend and her family will be making the long trek from San Francisco for my wedding and thrilled that her little girl can play a special role on my big day. It may be a little confusing to have a Madeleine and a Madeline in the wedding (my niece is a junior bridesmaid), but since I can come up with any number of names for my Madeline, all will be well. And now my FML need no longer fret that my bridal party is noticeably incomplete. Yay!!!

2. I DID purchase the Viking ship stamp and it is here and awesome. One of the great things about being at an all women's college is the fact that there are so many crafters here, including my Senior Honors advisee, Babineau. She and I have discussed it and we think that next semester, when we get together twice a week to watch ABC's "Once Upon a Time" and NBC's "Grimm" (she's doing a folk/fairy tale thesis), we will make things for the wedding. NICE. And we're thinking of getting plain glass votive candle holders and decoupaging the exteriors with tissue paper that matches the wedding colors and incorporating the stamp on them. Again, what say you? I'm thinking subtle, but cool and unique. If you're thinking "tacky," "lame," or anything similar, please DO let me know. Honestly. What we're envisioning for the "centerpieces" (since they're easily dismantled, it's hard to call them that) is a hurricane candle in the center of the table with 10 cobalt blue 375 mL bottles of meads and wines (favors) surrounding that and four of the aforementioned votive holders outside the ring of booze, one facing each side of the square tables. And maybe some glittering confetti tossed about. Hmmm...

3. God, I wish there was a cheap way to take care of invitations and programs. If y'all have any ideas, let me know.

4. For flowers, to save money, I think we're going to be ordering from a wholesaler for the boutineers, y'all's bouquets, the remembrance flowers for deceased loved ones, and the flowers for the cake. Right now I'm leaning towards orange lilies, but time will tell... and the bridesmaids' dresses, once decided upon officially, will also determine how this plays out. Amy "Big Baby" Teitelman has volunteered to help with putting the bouquets and boutineers together; any of the rest of you are more than welcome to help. And yes, I totally referenced her by her Juggalo name. This way, the only things I'm having to pay through the nose for in the floral department will be my bouquet, the corsages for the mothers and my sisters (don't ask), and the arrangements for the church.

5. Instead of a guest book, I'm thinking about doing something like this:


This one in particular is from Etsy, but I'm thinking perhaps Josh could throw one together for us quickly... all he has to do is the background, the lettering, and (obviously) the tree... and birds. Then you get ink pads and have each guest put their finger print on as a leaf and sign their name beside it. I think it's pretty awesome. And affordable. And a permanent decoration for the house, too.

6. When any of my IGP ladies call me on my cell phone now, the ringtone that will play is the chorus of Insane Clown Posse's "Juggalo Homies":



7. Finally, I will be in Cincinnati from Friday, November 18th to Sunday the 27th. I know that Ressler will be around that week... who else would be around and available to go shopping for the bridesmaids' dresses with me? Amy? Katie? I believe Erika's trying to work something out, but I understand that finances are an issue. And, for those who will be around, please let me know when you might be available so we can coordinate as best as possible. Also, if you guys want to converse about what you're thinking, please feel free to do so... this is NOT a decision I see as solely mine; not at all.

Okay, that's enough for now, I think. If I think of more, I'll write again soon. Keep ideas and thoughts coming... they are much appreciated.

Love ya, homies.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Nert,
    I love the idea of having your crafter students do the work for you and -the votives sound cool but I think it's fun-not necessary so don't kill yourself over them!

    I love the idea of a candle as the centerpiece with surrounding mead (how cool!)-I don't think anyone notices big floral centerpieces and they are expensive!

    In terms of invitations-you could buy some and print them out yourselves, have a graphic design student of yours make them (that's what my bro did -really fun design, really unique from a graphic artist friend of theirs--I like this option best) -or search the internet. But I'd research the art department at Sweetbriar first...

    Second, we totally made the programs ourselves-cardstock paper printed out with a ribbon at the top (ribbon via Michaels) -I think we paid $20 total and they were big bookmarks -you could even use the Viking stamp on those-not a big deal -no one remembers the program besides your fam-and they will be fine as long as the WORDING is right rather than the stuff it's made from...

    I love the idea of Josh painting you a picture and everyone being a thumbprint leaf...but it that get's too complicated for poeple to dip their fingers in ink, etc (not sure what your fam may think of that if they want to be snotty even though I think it's cool:), I have another idea of framing either a picture of you two or a picture of the letters T-R-E-V-O-R & L-A-U-R-A in letters formed from architecture (trust me here-I'll work on this) and then people just sign the mat...

    I'll be back in the 'Nati on the 22nd (late at night) so maybe that Saturday we go shopping (after your Black Friday ritual with fam) -let me know -or I'll have to call to activate the ringtone :)

    BTW-I need a Juggalo nickname already!

    Super-psyched about the flower girl, junior bridesmaid, adorable pick and the flowers via wholesaler-way to go!! Call me if you need any other cheap ideas-again-I've got a long ivory veil if you want to borrow it (I can show you as it's in Cinci)!

    Talk soon-Ressler "need a nickname" Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "I Pick You"! It reminds me of the "I choo-choo-choose you" joke from the Simpsons a little.

    Target has do-it-yourself invitation kits that you can print out at home. You select setup and fonts online, and you just plug in your details. We used them for my parents 50th Anniversary shindig and everyone said they looked great.

    I've got all of Thanksgiving week off, but I'm not sure when I'm driving in as of yet--probably Sunday or Monday (20th or 21st.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Google Reader is grounded. It never told me there was a new post here...new over a month ago but new nonetheless.

    I like it all - wrap a bow on it lets get this wedding underway!

    ReplyDelete