Saturday, April 30, 2011

Dress Profile: First Among Many

Okay, so... I will occasionally share dresses I like for ME on here, as well. Bear in mind that, if I'm sharing it, I legitimately like the dress; in other words, be sensitive to my feelings with your opinions! BUT, I want you to be honest if you have a practical concern with the thing. I don't have to go dress shopping for awhile yet, but I'm casting my eyes around to things that I think are interesting so that, at the very least, I go into my first dress appointment with a couple of defined ideas of what I like and what I hate.

I really don't want to have a thoroughly traditional gown. I like things that are unique and unexpected; I like texture or visual interest... not necessarily of the beaded variety, but I won't count such things out. More importantly, I like anything that's under $1000, and by as much as possible. That's what I like the most. This wedding is becoming more expensive by the second--and we haven't even purchased anything yet!

This morning I had a 35 minute conversation with my FML, Debi, who has fallen completely in love with (now) Princess Catherine's wedding dress. (Who hasn't?) She wanted me to know that knock-offs are quickly becoming available and she told me a couple of designers who were producing them for under $1K. Now, you may recall that Kate had sleeves... and that I'm getting married in July. I'm just sayin'... Nevertheless, I went online to check out a couple of the designers Debi mentioned and to look at one I had seen myself. Mori Lee was the knock-off I first saw and I thought they did an amazing job with it. Once on their site, I floated around a bit (the knock-off they're coming out with first will be $999) and found a dress I'd seen before.

I saw the following dress on a real bride in a magazine and, as often happens when they profile real brides, they didn't say anything about the designer or price of the dress... and I was pissed, because I really, really wanted to look it up. It caught my eye because the bride was in mid-twirl and the skirt just looked really fun and different. So, I give you Mori Lee 2521, $720.


Obviously, the vertical stripes are what are fascinating the shit out of me on this one.* They have a very slimming effect and are just really different...


And I like that it's got the satin skirt underneath with the sheer/opaque-striped overlay. Again, the twirling bride caught my eye because the overlay lifted up and... it looked like such a fun dress!


The striping also gives the back a lot of interest, which is seriously missing in many of the dresses I've seen. The backs are just blah and, quite frankly, that's what most people are going to be staring at for the longest period of time. I want the back to be interesting.**


Finally, the bodice is nicely fitted, not overly blingy (which is something I kind of hate), but still has some sparkle to it. And, again, the stripes (really, even the criss-crossed ones) are extremely slimming. And I want to look as skinny as my big ol' Germanic, baby-birthing-hipped frame can manage!

So, there is the first "dress I love" that I'm offering up to you. Be kind.

*I will not be doing bizarre stretches at my wedding.
**I won't be playing with my hair weirdly, either.

1 comment:

  1. Love the cut, love the shape, LOVE the bodice. LOVE LOVE LOVE that bodice.

    ReplyDelete