Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Putting the Tart in Tartan?



I thought about entitling this post "How Do You Solve a Problem Like a Tartan?"

So, you should know that Trevor is considering wearing his ancestral tartan for our wedding. He's found a very reasonably priced tartan rental site (several, actually, and the rental packages include all the accoutrements... right down to the knife that you strap to your sock and the fur murse... I mean sporran), and both his brother and his father are excited at the prospect of acknowledging their Scottish heritage. They're really very Scottish, from the line of the MacGregors, as in Rob Roy. This surprises no one. That their last name is NOT MacGregor is the fault of the Campbell Clan and... well, I'm just not going into the history of it all here.

However. The MacGregor tartan... is interestingly problematic for me. I'm presenting this discussion to y'all so that you can give me ideas and input I haven't thought of or considered. The "Rob Roy" tartan is the strictly black and red one above. It cries out "I'M A LUMBERJACK AND I'M OKAY!" I hadn't really considered having our wedding in the forest and marking the occasion with the odd hewn tree, but I guess that's certainly an option. However, it also limits our options for bridesmaid dress colors to red or black. Or charcoal. As OWU grads, red and black seems a little too "Go Bishops," not to mention the fact that Trevor's brother Josh and sister-in-law Mindy had red and black for their colors. Oh, and I hate red. I like The Reds... if we have it at Great American Ballpark, let's do this thang! But that's actually not the option before me. Alas.

The other tartan above is a more modern MacGregor tartan. And it's a little "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" for me. Admittedly, I'm a total Whore for Christmas, but I don't really want to evoke my favorite holiday in the middle of the summer on my wedding day. Now, there is also the MacGregor Hunting Tartan:



It's less red-red, maybe a hint more towards burgundy (hunting tartans tend to be a bit duller than the formal clan tartans... you guys, the SHIT I know about Scottish tartans, now...), and it is also one of the tartan options carried by the rental place. But still. What do you guys think? How could I work with this? I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't strangely enthralled by the idea of seeing my future husband standing at the altar in full Scottish regalia... but I'd also be lying if I said I didn't mind making my entire color palette bend to the will of plaid wool. And yet...

I mean, you have to admit that there's something appealing about this look:



And, quite frankly (though this is thoroughly gratuitous), there is something even more appealing about THIS:



(No, unlike Ewan, he's not a MacGregor... but he is a fucking legend.)

Also, there are wedding invitation options...
...and something for me, too!



In the end, Trevor says he's not 100% committed to the idea yet, but it's an option we're exploring. It does seem a little... well, honestly, disgusting to RENT a kilt... you know what they're supposed to wear under those things, right? And we're talking about a man who is, essentially, a human furnace dressing in wool in the middle of summer... which may be a little counterintuitive. But again, we're just exploring our options. Can you imagine how adorable his two boys would look in their little tartan ensembles? And how much fun it will be to listen to Trevor explain to them why they're wearing skirts in front of everyone they know?

Yeah, we have a lot to figure out. But, in the meantime, I like to imagine Trevor's bachelor party going a little something like this:



Except obviously they'd be singing "Go Home with Bonny Nert"...

3 comments:

  1. I can't come up with ideas that don't include red or black for the non-hunting tartan. But here's my response to the hunting tartan:

    dresses in shades of dove gray and/or lavender and/or that brighter berry color that's in the tartan, with accents of teal/berry via shoes/flowers/jewelry/scarves/hair things/whatevs.

    See the pictures at the link below for where my brain is going with this. (I especially love the shoes in the first picture, and the colors in the second picture.)

    http://amountainbride.blogspot.com/2009/09/girls-in-gray.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. GAW!! How can I be Jenny???

    Ahh...got it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the dove gray and berry ideas... now just to see what Trevor's thinking. I do believe he's turning away from the idea and I think his mom has been trying to steer him away from it, as well. One thing for sure, though... whatever color I choose, you guys are welcome to wear whatever kind and color of shoes you want... I think the multiple fun shoe colors is awesome and some of you may already have shoes that work and won't have to put out further cash, which I totally support as well.

    Nice find on the website, by the way, Jennifer...

    ReplyDelete